The City & The City by China Miéville



China Miéville continues to amaze me with his imagination. I had only recently completed the Iron Council, and didn't know which book to take off my shelf to read next. Iron Council left me on such a fantastic high, I didn't want to risk coming down fast with a disappointment. So for a couple of weeks, I didn't pick up a book. Then unintended trip to the local used bookstore by my work a couple of weeks ago, presented me with a new Miéville book: The City and the City.

I started reading it that same day, on the way home, and I couldn't put it down. While I don't have much time for pleasure reading, I stole time and even pulled a couple of late nights on Friday and Saturday to find out where Miéville was taking me.

I'll refrain from delving too much into the premise of the book, because I think part of the pleasure was the journey Miéville takes the reader on. If you'd like a well written review, head over to The Mumpsimus. I will tell you however, that it is a contemporary fantasy / murder / mystery, and at the end, you'll probably have more answers than questions -- which a good book is supposed to leave you with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for