... weekend Movies

  • Dogma posterFriday night I watched Dogma with my daughter. I've seen the movie a few times already, and it's always a hoot to watch it again. Christian mythology has quite the stories, and because it is very much still alive, the story is that much more potent. The premise of the movie is a poke a Catholicism and the seriousness with which it takes itself. The whole finding-the-new-Pope-thing that will unfurl in the coming weeks points further to why the whole of organized religion needs to come to grips with the fact that we're no longer living in the dark ages. Rituals are rituals ... but organized religion takes itself seriously, and the buffoons that follow them need to wake up and take control of their lives and the world they live in. But I digress. Watch the movie, it's good for you.

  • Clerks posterSaturday morning, I watch Clerks with my daughter over breakfast. It was a Kevin Smith binge I supposed. It has been a while since I saw Clerks, and I had forgotten what a riot it is. Clerks, for those who don't know, is one of Smith's earlier movies. It was made with a limited budget, and launched Smith's career as a big name Hollywood director. It follows the misadventures of Dante and Randal, convenience & video store clerks, who have to put up with, but sometimes abuse, their inane customers. Dante and Randal are going through life, with not much of a future. They realize that the only way out of their misery is change and taking responsibility for their actions -- actions neither one of them are looking forward to. The movie is hilarious, raunchy and definitely not the Saturday morning fare.

  • Robots posterToday, I went with my wife to watch Robots. It was a kids movie, but not really a kids movie. It was funny, with Robin Williams putting on a tremendous show with his voice acting. The world created in the movie was imaginative, though it bore a striking resemblance to ours. The animation and characters were superb. It's a must watch, and also a must own when it's released on DVD.
  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Blogs of Note

    Civil disobedience is called for