Intellectual Disability

I just came across the "intellectual disability" label. Not sure what it meant, so I looked it up. It's the new label (for me anyway) for those with mental handicaps. Fine. But "intellectual disability?" To me it's an insult. Intellectual disability just means someone doesn't have the ability to be smart. That applies to a lot of people I know who suffer from no mental handicap. A lot of people with mental handicaps are actually smarter than some of the dummies I know that would qualify for the intellectual disability label. I don't know -- maybe I'm harping about nothing. Maybe I'm not accepting of change -- but I just don't think another euphemism was needed -- especially one that went from labeling a person with a disorder as having a mental handicap to one that just calls them a dummy. Please folks -- enough with the euphemisms -- enough with the dumbing down of language for the politically correct.

OK, I'll shut my trap now.

Comments

  1. No, you're right. You hit it right there. "Dumbing down to be politically correct". That's what happens. Someone, somewhere in the government, finds this gentle, patronizing label that allows society to call "those icky" whatevers by a government approved mass stereotyped label, and then we can all feel happy and comfortable (and patronizing and blissfully ignorant). "Oh, it doesn't matter what disease they have, they are just different from me and that makes me nervous dealing with them, and so I will call them by this label so I can go on ignoring the real problem, and not accepting them as equal, uninhibited people."

    Stop "calling people names". Start getting to know what their real names are and treating them with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treat people with respect -- expect for the 'edjits' -- they are just plain dum-edjits and should be treated that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fussing over the name because it distracts. If someone has a mental handicap, that is what they actually have. I find "intellectual disability" more insulting. Someone with a mental handicap, has a mental handicap. I look forward to when "intellectual disability" will no longer be acceptable, and we'll move on to some other phrase.

    And I don't have to be involved in an area to have the capacity to care for others. Neither do I have to label myself as a supporter of mental handicap people to have an opinion. Here you are using labels in order to dismiss my opinion. Yes, there are far more important things to fuss over -- so why change the label? why confuse an already confused situation?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for