This is my blog for tonight

I was reading some very interesting articles today in the National Post, now that I work there. I read an article titled Mayor Kisses Off Protocol by Planting Two on Princess in the front section of Wednesday's National Post. What an article! I don't see the problem with the mayor of Montreal, Jerald Tremblay, greeting Dutch royalty with two pecks. I think that if the action had been grossly unappropriate, then the papers should have made a big stinkin' deal out of it, but as it was it was just a greeting. The Princess was taken aback by this greeting and temporarily forgot about proceeding directly into the prepared speech for the occasion.

What I do object to is how the paper described the Dutch Princess Margariet's husband as having to 'save' the situation. What he said bothers me, "You start all this kissing, it's easy for her to forget what she has to do". GRRR!

Comments

  1. Briefly, I agree. Montreal = French = cultural tradition of kissing to greet people, and he probably did that becuase he wanted to show that he (or Montral) could still be EuroFrench.

    And who knows, she may have just been distracted from her speech becuase she was flattered!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for