Jewelled Rice & Roasted Eggplant Dip

I'm not one to cook from recipes. I have difficulty keeping up with too many instructions. I'd much rather just start in the kitchen and see where the dish takes me. Sometimes I totally screw things up -- but mostly, things sorta work out. Tonight however, I decided to try a recipe, and more or less, stick to it.

I had seen a couple of Persian recipes for dishes served during Naw Ruz celebrations in Chatelaine's April 2007 issue. The pictures looked enticing, and I wanted to taste the food. So, when the opportunity presented itself to cook dinner tonight, I went for the Jewelled Rice and Roasted Eggplant Dip (served with pitas) -- click the links for the recipes. The result was pretty good. I enjoyed both dishes -- and my wife must have, as she had seconds.

I did make some modifications to the recipes. For the Roasted Eggplant Dip, I had no tomato paste, so I ignored it. I completely forgot the garlic, so it wasn't included. And since I had no saffron, it was nixed as well. The Jewelled Rice saw some changes as well. I substituted long grain brown rice for basmati rice; I had no idea what barberries were, and didn't have cranberries; instead of chicken thighs, I used breasts; and since I had no saffron, I used tumeric in its place. The recipes both call for about an hour to get the whole meal ready. Yeah right. That's if you have a huge kitchen, and have helpers. From my experience, you'll need to have two hours if you want to eat this meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for