Aeon Flux

I have to open up this little post with an admission -- I've never seen Aeon Flux, the animated series. So I didn't have the fan baggage when I went with the guys recently to see Aeon Flux the movie -- not that the baggage would have helped. The movie was just crap.

Let me start with the story. I can suspend belief -- but when faced with the load of crap that was passed as a story in this movie, no amount of suspension could have gotten my belief off the ground. I managed to get past the plausibility of the premise, but then the love story, the good guy versus the bad guy bit ... I just couldn't get over it. The lines fed to the actors were so bad that I cringed every time they opened their lips to talk. Then there was the lack of action. The characters spent a lot of time in the movie running. Yes, I understand that it is one city that is left standing after the end of the world -- but didn't anybody use even a bicycle? That sure would have helped rather than watch Charlize Theron try to run. The fight sequences were equally pathetic. This is the future -- and while Sophie Okonedo's Sithandra had cool feet -- it just wasn't enough. The rest of the action was just conventional. I wasn't expecting the fight sequences from the Matrix, but some tom-foolery-kung-fooery was expected. The last and most unfortunate absentee from the movie was effects. Maybe the moviemakers were trying to keep the effects subtle. Maybe they thought they could overwhelm us by underwhelming us ... or maybe director Karyn Kusama doesn't know what to do with special effects. Don't know what the lame excuse was, but it resulted in what has to be the most invisible use of special effects for a SciFi movie ever.

The only good thing I can say about the movie is the poster. It looks cool. Everything else sucks. I wouldn't waste money on it -- not even as a rental. Download it, watch as much as you can bear, then delete the crap off your machine.

Comments

  1. I guess I won't be seeing it then. It sounds almost as bad as Constantine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constantine was great! Ok ... maybe just good ... I liked it anyway. Lucifer was the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for