Chaos Theory

I was driving my daughter home from school a few minutes ago. Across Steeles, just before Yonge, there's a patch where the fall leaves are all over the road. The wind moves them across the road like a flock of birds following the leader in the sky. Then I drive through them and they scatter in a new, different direction. Beautiful chaos. It made me think of the old adage: the flapping of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas. I wondered -- driving through the leaves, wouldn't it be nice if the little chaos the ensued caused equally dramatic changes across the world. I imagined somewhere in some war torn country (pick one, there are many), a mother kisses a new born baby who will grow up not knowing any violence; not understand what all the fuss was about hating those 'other' people because they just didn't look the same, or didn't worship the same god. Wouldn't feel the need to strap on explosives and murder the world; wouldn't feel the need to exact revenge. If it was possible, I'd be driving through a lot of leaves on the road -- over and over again. But I suppose it's only a theory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for