What will Sidewiki do?

You may have noticed that I've started using Google's Sidewiki in the past few weeks. I started using it more for my own purposes at first. It allows easy posting of blog entries; and allows me to quickly annotate a site I've found, that I may wish to refer to later on. (I'm not a bookmark freak -- there are too many of them, and I can never find what I'm looking for.) I figure I could simply search Sidewiki when I'm looking for something relevant.

I wish however, that Google would further integrate Sidewiki with some of its other services. Blogger integration is nice, but only in its infancy. There is no integration with tags for instance, and the editor is basic. I'd also like to see the ability to add or edit html to Sidewiki entries -- that way, rich media or code could be added to posts. Google could also clear up some of the confusion with Notebook. I would like the ability to cross-post certain Sidewiki entries to Notebook -- and integration with Orkut would be good too. I've an Orkut account and don't use it -- why would I want to when there is no integration with anything in Orkut.

Google frustrates by creating all these services with seemingly little strategy behind them, although the post referenced below does point to some strategy that may be behind Sidewiki -- if Google will come clean with their plans.

in reference to:

"Some bloggers are concerned that it could divert responses from their blog posts to Google, and they are voicing their opposition. “Google is trying to take interactivity away from the source and centralize it,” says Jeff Jarvis, blogger and author of the Harper Collins book What Would Google Do?  “This isn't like Disqus, which enables me to add comment functionality on my blog. It takes comments away from my blog and puts them on Google. That sets up Google in channel conflict versus me. It robs my site of much of its value.""
- Google Sidewiki: Breakthrough or Bust? (view on Google Sidewiki)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for