CDRs Suck

Yup, they're cheap -- and because of that, they've proliferated. It's got to the point where I have so many CDs, I don't even know what's on most of them anymore. I archive stuff just because someday I may be looking for it, and it will be easily accessible, instead of searching, finding, downloading or purchasing all over again. But what happens when a few years down the road, I pop a CDR into the drive and there's nothing there? You got it -- nothing. Well, I'll probably scream and fret, then either search, find, download or purchase all over again. The problem is, CDRs only have a limited lifespan -- 2-5years according to physicist and storage guru, Kurt Gerecke, of IBM. Gerecke suggests that you may be better off to just archive on magnetic tape instead, if you want to make sure your data is there.

I have a better idea. External USB harddrives. Cost per megabyte comparison, external harddrives are a whole lot cheaper than CDRs to begin with -- and a heck of a lot safer for your data. I did a quick search on Froogle for some prices and did the comparison. Check out what I found below. Wow! The prices below are probably steep -- you can probably find media cheaper locally. There are two types of CDR referenced: archival and regular. Archival is gold plated or something like that. Whatever.

Comments

  1. Just crusin' today and stopped by your blog. Thanks for the heads up. I have stacks of CDR's also, and I am the worlds worst at organizing. In fact I am going to Best Buy later, and was going to buy another spindle of 100 cdr's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for