freecomputer20090124

This post is part of the freecomputers project.

freecomputer20090124

This machine comes via some good folks of the FreecycleTO community. The machine itself is from Adina, with the monitor donated by Cheryl and the serial mouse and AT keyboard from Ibrahim. I haven't seen a serial mouse or AT keyboard in ages! Since the machine only has 64MB RAM, I needed a smaller Linux distro. Hadn't heard of this one before, but Google saved the day when it lead me to Dam Small Linux. It's the 2.4.31 kernel in a 50MB footprint. That's right, the entire O/S in 50MB. The machine previously had Windows 98, which I blew away for the DSL install. The install required a little more thinking and configuration choice than Ubuntu or openSUSE, but after one failed attempt, I was successful.

DSL had some trouble recognizing the Ethernet card in the machine -- some no-name brand -- so I swapped it out for one in another machine I picked up from SH last night. It worked wonders. The card was recognized, and it automatically connected to the internet through my router.

One thing to note on this machine -- I think the BIOS battery is dead. The clock keeps being reset to 1997 every time the machine restarts. This may be an annoyance, as security certificates on the internet uses the computer clock to determine expiry.

DSL moves pretty quickly on this older Pentium machine. It comes with Firefox and a few other apps, including a smaller Office offering, consisting of Ted Word Processing, Siag Spreadsheet and a few other apps. It works fine and is suited for someone who just wants internet access and just a little productivity. DSL's GUI interface is easy to use -- and should work for most people. If more apps are needed, they can be installed via the MyDSL Browser.

Configuration of freecomputer20090124:
  • Pentium 166MMX, 64MB RAM
  • NEC CD-ROM Reader, CDR-1600A
  • Quantum Pioneer SG 2.1A 2GB HD
  • 16-bit Soundcard
  • Modem (I didn't check the speed -- but who uses a modem today?)
  • 2 USB ports
  • Monitor: ViewSonic E771 (17"), Model: VCDTS21532-4M, S/N: AY01103679
  • Default user: dsl
  • Root password: Dabydeen


Update:

OK, it was a nuisance. Every time the computer started up, there was a CMOS checksum error that required going into the BIOS, saving settings and exiting, so the computer could start. So I replaced the CMOS battery. I took the new battery off one of the motherboards given to me by Narender. Now there is no CMOS error, the time and date are holding after shutdown. Oh ... and I had to fix the BIOS so the date would rollover into the new century. That damn Y2K bug!

Update: Feb. 28, 2009

I dropped off this machine to Harold last night. It will be used at his church or donated to one of church patrons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for