Resurrection of old hardware

I've decided to do something about the inspiration that hit me over the holidays. I was rebuilding a machine for a friend of my wife's, and really enjoying myself, the hands on mucking around with figuring out the the hardware problems and reloading the O/S and apps. It reminded me of a post I saw last year on FreecycleTO, from a guy who was rebuilding machines from donated parts and donating it back via FreecycleTO. Old machines were getting a new lease on life, and those that really needed a machine -- any computer -- was getting one gratis. Inspired, I posted the following on FreecycleTO:
I'm looking for old computers and computer spare parts -- stuff that you have lying around that could be used to put together working machines. I've idle hands, and I would like to keep old machines out of the dump, give them a new lease on life and help those who otherwise be left behind in the information age. All rebuilt machines will be loaded with open source software and donated to needy homes.
I wasn't expecting the quick response I got, but I got responses. Monitors, HDs, and other assorted hardware was being promised. Hopefully, I will getting some stuff picked up this weekend, and will start removing the dust, assembling working machines and going nuts with Linux.

So, does anyone know of a good Linux distro for typical home users? According to zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser, I should go with openSUSE, or, for slightly older machines, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Freespire, Kubuntu or Fedora. What would you recommend? Remember, this is heading for a home user who may have limited computer experience.

Freecomputers:

- freecomputer20090117 - delivered to Kathy
- freecomputer20090124 - delivered to Harold
- freecomputer20090202 - delivered to Ida
- freecomputer20090218 - delivered to Harold
- freecomputer20090221 - delivered to Harold
- freecomputer20090226 - available

Comments

  1. Use Kubuntu. Kde is better under the hood in my opinion and Kubuntu will be the easiest thing for windows users to migrate from. The ui and operation is similar and when it's not the same it's very intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there's a reason why Ubuntu has experienced such a meteoric rise since its inception a relatively short time ago in the linux-distro world: very good hardware detection, very much like Windows for the Linux-newbie, tons of documentation and a friendly community...

    Kubuntu is normally what I install onto the computers I give away, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who can i contact to donate old computers and printers>?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To donate old computers and printers, drop a message off at FreecycleTO (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreecycleTO/). There are a few folks running similar projects who would take machines off your hands ... or there may just be someone who could use a machine at home. They will contact you via Freecycle and arrange to pickup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for