On my MP3 Player this morning ...
So I'm a little stuck in the late 80s and 90s. Most people's music tastes are apparently set during their post-secondary days. And yes, I do have the CDs for these songs!
U2's Silver and Gold - from their Rattle and Hum live album. I brought the DVD recently for my wife. I'm a BIG U2 fan. I love all the songs from that album -- this one especially. The emotions are raw. (Listen to it.)
Björk's Violently Happy - this is from the 90s, and it's typical of Björk. Great dance beat. (Listen to it.)
Leonard Cohen's I Can't Forget - yes, I like Leonard Cohen. People seem surprise by this. This is one of those songs to listen on a rainy day, and since it was raining on my way back from Oakville, it worked well. (Listen to it.)
Neville Brothers singing Leonard Cohen's A Bird on a Wire - another song for a rainy day, and unlike Cohen, the Neville brothers, especially Aaron, are quite lyrical. (Listen to it.)
Survivor's Eye of the Tiger - this is a classic, and needs no comments, other than, "Adrian, I love you!" (Listen to it.)
The first chef
First came fire ... and then, as the camera shifts to the soon to be late-village idiot, you're left wondering -- just what was going through that mind -- and food is put on the fire, for the first time, and cooking is accidentally discovered by humanity. The first chef is ridiculed by grunts, then the local thug tries a sample of the burnt carcass, and soon, everybody gets queued at the McDonalds drive-thru. What happened? Richard Wrangham of Harvard believes there's more to cooking than evolutionary history would have you believe. Wrangham points out that there is no way homo sapiens could survive on just raw food. Raw food just doesn't give up calories as easily as cooked food -- and raw food makes the digestive system expend more energy to get at those calories. Cooking on the other hand breaks complex molecules down, allowing the digestive system to make easy work of them -- and cooking also softens food, allowing the body to get to the calories with less effort...
Comments
Post a Comment