The Pleasure and the Pain

This evening was the usual Thursdays for me -- I was driving around North York. I have two daughters, and I suspect they fancy the idea that I like driving around. At least I got some work reading in while waiting for the older one to finish her mid-term.

We went to Tim's for what passes for supper before I had to pick the younger one up from band practice. After we got out of the car, a copy pulled up in front of us at the Tim's. She wanted to know if I knew that my front license plate was not one. I told her that I was aware of that -- it was due to an accident, and it now rested in my backseat. She replied, "I guess I will believe you." My older daughter commented that the cop was cute when she drove away. I don't know. My heart was racing because I thought I was going to get a speeding ticket -- even though I wasn't speeding coming up to the Tims. I told my daughter that the cop's gun was bigger than mine, and she probably was well versed in its use -- unlike me.

Driving home with my youngest riding shotgun, we passed by one of the many parks in Toronto. The trees were in bloom -- not that we could see anything -- it was dark. But the smell. The two seconds that I sped by the park was enough to fill the car with a rich, sweet aroma of blooming flowers. At which point, the Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive came on the stereo. My youngest howled in pain as I increased the volume to drown her plight.

And speaking of cops -- on Monday, I was out with my youngest for our regularly scheduled outing for tea. We dropped by the local Tim's to grab Earl Grey to go. Inside were three cops. These guys were built, and didn't wear the traditional blue police uniforms. They had on a greyish-blue uniform, and their cars were definitely not the standard issue. These were the "real" cops. As is customary at most coffee shops, when the one cop reached to pay for the coffees, the girl behind the counter told him it was on the house. 1) It was good of the cop not to assume any entitlement because he's a cop. 2) As he walked away, the money was still in his hand, and he dropped it all into the Tim's collection box for their charity. That was heartening to see. The general public seem to shy from cops -- most likely because we all carry some guilt -- but, we should remember that they are out there for our protection. They in a big part, afford us the communities we live in. Next time you see a cop, perhaps you should thank them for being there.

My youngest and I drank our tea in a parking lot in Richmond Hill as we watched the sun set. I wanted to take sunset pictures, but was too late to get a good shot. Twice later this week -- tonight being one -- I saw spectacular sunsets. The sky was lit in flames -- the clouds looked like ripples in a pond. Beautiful. I wished I had my camera with me. It's too bad. Sometime in the future, I hope there is technology developed to retain our memory. The sunsets I saw this week are already fading from my memory. It's too bad our memories are so fleeting and unreliable. There are so many beautiful things in the world -- I wished I didn't have to forget them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for