Time 100 Top Movies

I enjoy movies. So I was curious when I heard about Time Magazine's take on the top 100 movies of all time. There are a lot of movies on the list that I've never seen, although I'm aware of quite a few of them. Close to half the movies were non-American movies -- a fact that I'm sure will surprise many and while most will dismiss that, the smart ones will seek out the movies they wouldn't have otherwise watched -- you just never know the gems you'll discover.

From the list of movies, I definitely agree with the mentioning of the following titles: Brazil; Blade Runner; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb; Drunken Master II; Finding Nemo; The Fly; The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Lawrence of Arabia; The Lord of the Rings trilogy; Metropolis; Psycho; Pulp Fiction; and Yojimbo.

If I was making my list however, a few of the films not mentioned that I would have included are: The Shawshank Redemption; Raiders of the Lost Ark; The Matrix trilogy; Apocalypse Now; Fight Club; Das Boot; Se7en; Snatch; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; The Bridge on the River Kwai; Monty Python and the Holy Grail & The Life of Brian; Léon; Alien & Aliens; Kill Bill; A Clockwork Orange; Reservoir Dogs; The Great Escape; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Hotel Rwanda; Jaws; Braveheart; The Incredibles; Donnie Darko; Dogma; Clerks; The Sixth Sense; Sin City; Back to the Future; Shrek; Big Fish; Die Hard; Young Frankenstein; The Fifth Element; Sideways; Twelve Monkeys; Trainspotting; Gandhi; Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl; The Corporation; Rain Man; Planet of the Apes; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Akira; The Serpent and the Rainbow; The Evil Dead; Bram Stoker's Dracula; From Dusk Till Dawn; The Transporter; La Femme Nikita and there's probably many more -- especially from the movies I own. But I'm probably boring you.

The magazine also provided a few top 10 lists -- one ranking the authors' soundtrack preferences. I agreed with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but was very surprised by Roja -- a film that I had heard of previously. What surprised me was the nod given to the Bollywood composer, A.R. Rahman. Another surprise on the list was South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. Who would have thought that the rude and crude would have gained such general acceptance -- especially in America, where conservatism is blooming.

Highlighting a list of great performances, I had to agree with Faye Dunaway's performance in Chinatown, and Bill Murray's in Groundhog Day -- but I was surprised by the mentioning of Brigitte Lin in Swordsman II and Raj Kapoor in Awara. Again, the surprise may simply stem from the nods being given to foreign films.

What films would make your list? Did I include any of them above?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs of Note

Civil disobedience is called for